Avoid Carbon Monoxide in your home

I think when we hear carbon monoxide it’s scary, but it’s good to know that there are things we can do to prevent this. As a worry wart myself I want to educate everyone on where the dangers lie with Carbon Monoxide leaks and ways to protect your home. First let’s talk about items in our home than can produce it. Gas furnaces, gas stoves, water heaters, clothes dryers, and even improperly vented fireplaces can be a source of carbon monoxide. The number one thing to prevent this is to be aware. Ensure you have at least one detector in your home and ensure it is in working order. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) actually recommends that every home with fuel-burning appliances of any kind be equipped with a least one Carbon Monoxide detector. You can place your detectors anywhere from 14 inches above the floor to eye level, but never where there is a draft like near windows and doors. You should at the very least have a professional out once a year to ensure your detector as well as your equipment is running properly. If you have HVAC maintenance this is usually part of it, but always ask to be sure! There are also some signs to look out for if you notice any of these things in your home call a professional immediately! A noticeably decreasing hot-water supply, Soot collecting on, under, and around any appliance, a furnace that runs constantly but doesn’t heat your house, an unfamiliar burning odor, or a loose or missing furnace panel or vent pipe.